Today the sun is shining and the heat is radiating off the pavement. And, all I want to do is run through our back garden with flowers in my hair, splash with the kids in the water, sip a nice long tall ice tea and wear sparkly barefoot sandals. So, kick off your shoes, sit in the grass and make yourself a pair of barefoot sandals too. Come three o'clock as you're sipping your ice tea and your feet sparkle in the sunlight, you'll smile.
- three pieces of jute, twine, leather or yarn
- embellishments (raid your craft kit for beads, flowers and assorted bobbles)
- a bell (a must!)
- Place the jute/twine/leather/yarn around your big toe and pull it to a length that will climb the front of your foot and wrap once around your ankle. (Your toe will be resting on the middle point of the string.) Give a bit of extra length and cut.
- Still with your toe on the middle point of the string, tie a loop so that when removed, your big toe goes through the loop (you're creating a toe ring). Knot it.
- Now, with your toe in the ring, begin braiding.
- As you braid, work your embellishments into the braid. Braid in a flower, string on a bead, etc.*
- Continue braiding (and working in your embellishments-- don't forget the bell!) until you've reached the end of your cut string.
- Then, wrap the sandal up the front of your foot, around your ankle and tie loosely.
- Run through the grass, drink an ice tea and watch your bare feet sparkle in the sunlight.